Wednesday, June 3, 2009

No Worries


"Guard ClearThinking and Common Sense with your life; don't for a minute lose sight of them. They'll keep your soul alive and well, they'll keep you fit and attractive.You'll travel safely, you'll neither tire nor trip. You'll take afternoon naps without a worry, you'll enjoy a good night's sleep. No need to panic over alarms or surprises, or predictions that doomsday's just around the corner, Because God will be right there with you; He'll keep you safe and sound." Proverbs 3:21-26 The Message

As I read these verses from Proverbs I am struck with the realization of how far I have grown in the Lord. In years gone by I spent so many useless hours worrying about things I could not control. Yes, I panicked and was alarmed frequently, which was not good for me. God knows us through and through and so He exhorts us here in this psalm to Hang on to Clear Thinking and Common Sense. Also -as I read this Proverb today I am reminded that I still have a ways to go. One of the most precious commodities that I value is my reputation. I strive to be a pure and holy representative of the Lord Jesus and I also value my husbands years of dedicated service to Him.

Recently both of our reputations were threatened. A very dangerous and slanted version of a story was spread with only one person coming back to question it. Oh how I suffered and panicked and went to the place of alarm over this. But as He has in the past Jesus once again reminded me of the persecution He faced, of the lies spread about Him and how he told us that all who live godly WILL suffer persecution. Now I am not claiming to be Holy as He is Holy - and we are NOT perfect as He is perfect but He told us we would partake in His suffering. Little did I know, back in my early naive Christian days, that it could also mean that 'Christian' people would also believe rumors without hearing the other side.

Years ago Dr. Wilbert Welch told our student Body at Cornerstone College that when you hear a story (as proverbs also teaches) you will be convinced it is true - BUT never, ever make a judgement or conclusion until you hear the other side. Thank God for Dr. Welch as Gary and I have been in many situations, in the Ministry, where we were convinced something was true UNTIL we heard the other side.

I will guard clear thinking and common sense all the days of my life as God enables me by His Holy Spirit. I will also trust my reputation and that of my dear Gary to the Lord who has the final word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas!